Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lose your life-by Josh

Have you ever had a song that you only heard once or twice that just seems to stick with you? Well, I heard this song about four years ago and have been reminded of it several times lately. This song is written by Shane and Shane and has never been released on an album. The message of the song is very powerful. It has become a personal prayer for my life, that I would have nothing of more value than the Lord himself. That his face and his presence would be the longing of my heart. I long to hold this true in my life...

"I'd give the world to be with You,

why would I hold onto anything but only you?"

If I look back over the timeline of my life I find some "thing" attached to each period that represents my longing for contentment. I have spent so many hours, so much money, and so much thought trying to fulfill my need for satisfaction. So many days I have lost to the pit of dissatisfaction. So many days have been spent with the mindset of "if I could only do this...or be good at that...or have this."

Neely has said to me many times that she wants me to be in the present. To enjoy the right here and right now. She is so wise. I have missed so many good days with her because my mind has been off in another place planning and plotting how I might accomplish these things I think will complete me. I have held so tightly to my life and the selfish things I actually believed would satisfy. This verse is the origin of this song, and if your struggles are anything like mine, this verse has much to say to us.

Matthew 16:24-26 (New Living Translation)

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. 25 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. 26 And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?<[a]'>[a] Is anything worth more than your soul?

I have had to reread this verse several times because the familiarity of it has stolen the power of what Jesus is saying.

If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it.

I love how well Jesus knows us. He knows that our attempts to live life our own way will fail. I love that word "try" in verse 25. That's our best attempt. To try. If we give away our life for his sake he will save us. We wont have to fight and claw through life.

How tightly I have held on to my life. Day to day I thrust myself into the plans I have for my life. I have poured myself into hobby after hobby, thing after thing just begging to be content. After many years of disappointment and discouragement I am coming to the realization that NO thing under the sun will satisfy. There is nothing that can give my heart rest. No amount of money, no amount of recognition, no amount of security in the eyes of this world. True contentment comes when you give yourself up. When you let go. When you freely allow the Lord to make you into who He designed you to be.

These lyrics are from a song I wrote a few years back. These words sum up the timeline of my life so far.

I've fought hard against Your will only to see,

nothing I could ever do will satisfy me.

Rescue me Rescue me Rescue me.

This video is the only way I have to let you hear the song by Shane and Shane. It's live and its not perfect sound quality, but the words are so good. Enjoy.


i was in search of treasure
searching the field of pleasure
sifting through gold and silver
oh what i've found is better

i was in search of fine pearls
i was in search of gaining the world
drinking from cisterns broken

i saw You and sold it all...

i could gain the world
and lose my soul
i could gain the whole wide world
but what would it matter

i’d give the world to be with You (won’t you tell me)
why would i hold on to anything but only You

oh why would I hold on (no reason why)
why would I hold on (no reason why)
why would I hold on (no reason why)
why would I hold on (no reason why)
why would I hold on?

No comments:

Post a Comment